Corn Moi- moi also known as Nni Oka, Igbankwu Oka, Ekoki, Ukpo Oka Or Sapala, is the Nigerian- style ''Tamales''(steamed corn Pudding).
It is a meal that is native to the eastern part of Nigeria. It is usually served during traditional engagements and taste really good.
Corn Moi- moi is also a healthy meal and quite filling due to its high fiber content, so if you're on a weight loss program this is a meal you can add to your diet, simply substitute the palm oil for tomato stew or your favorite oil and enjoy☺.
So, without further ado, here's the recipe.
* 5 pieces Fresh Corn on cob OR 500 grams Corn meal(corn flour, not corn starch)
* 1 handful Crayfish
* 1 handful dry big Prawns or dry fish (fresh prawns goes well too)
* 1 grilled fish (or soft smoked fish)(deboned) (optional)
* 5 medium Onion bulbs( Onions adds to the taste of this meal)
* 2 cooking spoonful Palm oil
* A Handful chopped Spinach Or Ugwu Or Scent leaves(efirin,nchuawun) (optional)
* 2-3 stock cubes/Seasoning cubes(maggi, onga or knorr)
* Chili pepper/scotch bonnet pepper(atarodo)(to taste)
* Water (as needed to form a smooth paste)
* Salt to taste
* Containers of choice for steaming the Moimoi
( you can make use of uma leaves, banana leaves , foil bags, heat proof nylons or bowls)
<<See video recipe here>>
Before preparing the meal;
A. First, break off the prawn heads and tails, boil or soak the dry prawns in hot water to soften it a bit.
If you'll be using dry fish, boil in salted water until tender. Strain and set aside
If you'll be using grilled or soft smoked fish, clean , debone and set aside for later use.
Tip: Don't throw away the prawn heads and tails.You'll need it in Step 2 below.
B. Slice the vegetables and set aside. The vegetable is optional, so you can leave it out if you want to.
C. Now, Blend the pepper, onions, prawn heads&tails and the crayfish and set aside.
To prepare Corn Moi moi using Corn meal(coarse corn flour)
1. Pour the corn meal(corn flour) into a wide bowl, mix with water to get a thick batter like when making moi moi.
2. Pour the blended mix into the corn meal batter, add the palm oil , vegetables, softened prawns,seasoning cubes and salt to taste(and any other yummy goodness you'll like to add to it), and mix well.
4. The Corn Moi moi is ready when it solidifies or hardens.
Transfer to a tray, leave to cool a bit, serve and enjoy!
To prepare Corn Moi moi using Fresh Corn on the cob
Follow step A and B above then;
1. Peel off the husk(the green coat of the corn) and remove all the hair-like strands.
Then use a sharp knife to slice down the corn to strip off the seeds from the cob.
2. Now, Place the corn seeds, pepper, onions , prawn heads&tails and the crayfish into a blender and blend together. Add a little water to help move the blades of the blender.
3. Transfer the blended content into a wide bowl, add water to get a lighter but not watery consistency, then add the palm oil , vegetables, softened prawns,seasoning cubes and salt to taste(and any other yummy yummy you'll like to add to it).
Mix thoroughly until the palm oil is well incorporated.
4. Finally, Pour into your container of choice, Seal and place in a steamer or pot of boiling water for 45 minutes to 1 hour until it solidifies.
Serve and enjoy!
**Do Check out our Moi Moi(steamed bean pudding) recipe. You'll love it .