|Nigerian Chin Chin|
It's also a big party favorite and is usually served at birthday parties as an appetizer .It's a nice quick snack for guests and suitable as a movie night snack for the family; Kids love it too.
The Nigerian Chin Chin is not just a big favorite because of its delicious taste, it is also loved by all because it keeps for a long period(about 4 weeks) if stored properly in airtight containers.
So if you're new at making any Nigerian Snack, you can be a winner with the Nigerian Chin Chin. Chin chin is known as Achomo in Ghana.
Ingredients for Nigerian Chin Chin
•1kg of All purpose Flour(Plain Flour)
•200g of Margarine
•150 ml whole milk(100ml of evaporated milk or 75ml Condensed milk or 70g of powdered milk)
• Half teaspoon of baking powder(optional)
•100g of granulated sugar
• Half a teaspoon Salt
•1 teaspoonful of ground nutmeg
•3 raw eggs(optional)
•Vegetable Oil (for frying)
•Water(add bit by bit if you are not using whole milk)
(add 50 ml if using evaporated milk,
add 75ml is using Condensed milk,
add 100ml if using Powdered milk.
Preparation for the Nigerian Chin Chin
-If you are using eggs, beat the eggs and set aside.
- Pour the sugar into a small bowl, add the milk and mix thoroughly.
- In a bigger bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.Mix well and then add the margarine. Mix thoroughly with your hands until it looks like fine bread crumbs.
- Add the eggs and the milk-sugar mixture into the bowl and mix well until you get a smooth but stiff dough.If you are using powdered milk, you can add a little water to get this consistency.
- Now place the dough on a floured flat surface and knead for a minute. Then using a rolling pin, roll the dough flat and cut into any shape of choice. Note that the dough doubles in size when placed in the hot oil, so don't cut it too big.
- Heat up some oil until very hot and fry the Chin Chin dough. Stir continuously until all the chin chin changes from white to golden brown.
Tip: You have to fry the chin chin in batches and make sure that you don't fry too much at a time , so that you won't end up with ''oil soaked chin chin''
- Transfer the fried Chin chin onto a flat pan or tray and leave to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.Enjoy!
There is no special way to enjoy the Nigerian Chin chin.You can eat it at any time of the day and at any occasions and goes well with a good drink.
Other related recipes :
* Nigerian Chin Chin recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Pie
* Nigerian Sausage Rolls
* Nigerian Egg Roll
* Nigerian Scotch Eggs
* Nigerian Fish Rolls
* Nigerian Fish Pie Recipe
* Nigerian Meat Pie
* Nigerian Buns
* Nigerian Puff puff